If you’re struggling with your motivation, or you simply want to squeeze more out of every workout you do, then one of the smartest moves you can make is to get a workout buddy.
Here are seven important benefits of training with a buddy.
1. Working out becomes more fun -Let’s not beat about the barbells, training on your own can get a bit dull; training with a friend however can be fun and it’s okay to have fun. In fact, the more fun your workouts are, the more you’re going to look forward to and be committed to them over the long-term. With a buddy, you can chat about life, laugh about your respective efforts and lighten the whole process of working yourselves into the ground.
2. Keeps you accountable - When someone else is relying on you, all the feeble excuses go by the wayside; you can’t be weak or lazy; you can’t throw a sickie; you’re letting someone down if you do, and its not going to help you reach your fitness goals!
3. Friendly competition makes you perform better - your workout gets a friendly competitive edge as you try to outdo each other. After all, the whole point of the exercise is to push yourself and it’s hard to do that on your own. You’re far more likely to give it that extra grunt with someone egging you on.
4. Motivation and support - You’re on rep 9 of a supposed set of 12 and it’s getting a bit hard. On your own, you’ll probably quit; with a trainer AND a buddy cheering you on, chances are you’ll find what it takes to do 3 more.
5. Brings variety to your workout - You can benefit from different exercises, new workouts and different ways of being active. Variety is one of the key components of fun, so you’re much more likely to stick to your workouts when you can do new things.
6. It's easier to try new things - there’s power in numbers. When you’ve got someone else with you it’s much less intimidating to start using the gym, hitting the free weights or just trying out new exercise equipment (e.g. kettlebells). So if you’ve always fancied slamming a battle rope, or trying strength training, get a buddy on board.
7. Cheaper Personal Training - maybe you’ve always wanted to try personal training but shy away because of the cost or you don’t feel comfortable in a 1:1 session. Well with a buddy you split the cost of the session and get to spend that time with a friend and your trainer.
Working out with a buddy can keep you motivated, push you to achieve your very best, and hold you accountable for getting into great shape. So if you’re having trouble sticking to your New Year’s resolutions, think about calling up a friend and working out together! You won't regret it.
Contact me to start your journey. Consultation is free.